On gigs and music

April 14, 2015

After university, I think I wasn't much interested to look for and listen to new Filipino bands. I guess it's a thing about growing up - you don't care much about what's in and what's new. But once in a while, when I come across a pretty song, I would search about the artists behind it and listen to their every song available.

I always go back to the artists that I loved back in college. Growing up in a university where there were plenty of rock gigs and music fests all year round, I got to explore and knew which music I liked, and didn't. I remember that there was a free concert to welcome the freshmen back in 2006 in Bahay ng Alumni, and my favorite band played. It's Up Dharma Down! Most of the crowd at that time did not give a damn when the band played. Along with my friends, we were able to squeeze in the small crowd until we're near the stage. Armi had a long hair back then and didn't communicate much to the audience. I was in awe when they played their hit Oo.

I went to the UP Fair from 2007-2012 and I chose the gigs when UdD, Sandwich, The Jerks or Sugarfree would play. It was fun watching all types of bands. I was able to see Tanya Markova and Silent Sanctuary when the crowd didn't seem to bother when they play (I am not a fan of these bands anyway) way before they got their taste of fame. There was also that time when The Wuds played, and there were only at least thirty people watching because most had gone home already.

Oh, I missed going to gigs! Good thing that I can watch recorded videos from different gigs through Youtube. But it is still nothing compared to jumping with the crowd and drowning yourself in noise and loud music amidst the danger of strangers.

Anyway, I'm glad that UdD is still active in the music scene and still produces songs that will speak for you when you are out of words to say especially when you are on the edge of emotional breakdown. I am actually waiting for the music video of their song Indak.


I love listening to this song. The words, the rhythm, they were all just right. It became even better when Peryodiko wrote a song somewhat in response to Indak. Plus, they will also release a music video for their song Tayo lang ang may alam (a line taken from the song Indak.)




I hope these kinds of music lives on. Those that feel like feeding your soul. Those that after listening and absorbing the music feel like some emptiness have been somewhat filled and you would feel okay. We need more songs like these. Cheers to good music! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment