Know your worth

September 11, 2015

"Do you know how much you're worth?" I was dumbfounded when my co-teacher asked me. We were talking about the work that we do and the salary that we're getting. She was telling me to demand for what I think I deserve. And I am not so sure of how much I actually deserve.

Looking back to how much I earned from the previous schools I taught in back in the Philippines, I was offered more than those here in KSA. Both in the private and government schools that I taught in, the salary was fixed and non-negotiable. It's either you take it or you leave it. I've been used to decide based on given conditions, and choosing which is better. When I applied for a teaching position here, I chose the better offer. When I say 'better', I mean that the school management looks good and the salary seems alright. But wouldn't it be nice choosing the best option? And 'best' would mean that school management is systematic, professional development is a priority, work is rewarding, and the salary is what I deserve. But then again, how much am I worth in this land far away from home?

It's funny that when I was thinking about it, I would compare myself from how others teach and do their work. I am more creative than her. I am more resourceful than her. I know how to make appropriate teaching materials compared to her. I am more organized than her. Et cetera. But then, she earns more because she demanded for more. She thinks she's worth more.

I have been conditioned to the culture of mediocrity in the Philippines. Practicing honor and excellence were always reminded to us back in the university, but there is no escaping that mentality in every day. There is much more than looking always at the bright side in every dark situation. It is knowing and doing what should be done to get out of every dark situation. It is knowing what is good, if not best, and demanding for what you truly deserve. It is knowing one's worth, even when mediocrity pushes itself to you. It is a long process to get mediocrity out in one's system but eventually, I will.

I realized that I need not to compare myself to others to know my worth. I am aware of the things that I can do. I know what I am capable of. I know that I can influence others positively, and I know that I want to maximize my abilities. I know what I love and what I need. I am worthy.

When I look up for a reminder to keep me grounded and focused, I saw this verse from the Book of Romans 12:2 which tells me of what I should seek more and be of.
Romans 12:2 KJV bible verse
Being appreciated by people around you and being recognized for what you do give good feelings and increase one's esteem. I especially believe to appreciate your worth, it helps to
be kind to yourself text

No comments:

Post a Comment