¡Grandes peliculas!

February 29, 2016

I think I've said enough that I love watching films during our free time. There were weeks when we watched at least a film every night especially when the TV series that we've been following were on break. But when school works eat up my supposedly free time at home, there's no way that we could watch at least one. I came across films in Spanish language that were actually great. Most of these films fall under either the thriller or horror genre, and sometimes both. I am going to list them down here because someone who's looking for thriller/horror films to watch may stumble upon this post, so I'll share my suggestions. I will list them in no particular order and maybe I'll share some thoughts about them but not to the point of spoiling.

El espinazo del diablo. This film was from one of my favorite directors, Guillermo del Toro. It is about friendship, fitting in, revenge in a Spanish civil war setting. There was ghost haunting within the drama. If you've watched at least one film directed by Guillermo del Toro, this film feels familiar when you watch it.

El Cuerpo. This one is a thriller full of twists, you may or may not figure out until the end. I usually like guessing about motives of the characters in the film (in real life too, at times) and I may say that a lot of times my guess seems right. I did not fully guess the ending of this one because as I've said, it's twisted but engaging.
El laberinto del fauno. I think there was a version of this released in English language but I remember seeing this in Spanish which I appreciated more. The kid who played Ofelia acted very well in this. That kid has grown up already and still acting, you can watch her in MTV's The Shannara Chronicles. There were a lot of interpretations of this film, since it's fantasy with a dark feel. 
La Cara Oculta. I enjoyed this film when we watched it. It's also engaging and I actually felt good when the characters got what they deserved. There's a love story in here and of course, thrills.
Cronos. Another film by Guillermo del Toro. The poster and the description of this one do not suggest a lot that's why I withheld watching this. But when I saw it, it was actually intriguing and fun to watch.
El secreto de sus ojos. Recently, a film featuring Chiwetel Ejiofor and Julia Roberts was released, and it was actually based on this one. The first part of this film was dramatic but enough to keep you interested. Again, there was a twist towards the end that you would not want to miss. I appreciated the actors and their moving performances. It's also calming to hear them talking in Spanish even when I was trying to read the subtitles quickly.
La casa del fin de los tiempos. There were parts in this film that could give you jump scares, but what's more fascinating was the story itself. If you also like guessing about what will happen next when watching a movie, this can give you a little headache because it's not so predictable (at least for me.)
Mientras duermes. If you are looking for a horror film that will give a lot of scares, this is not the film that will satisfy you. But I'm quite sure, that this will scare you in a different way. It made me think what if there are a lot of people who think like the antagonist in this film (which is not impossible), the world may be a scarier place to live in.

I like how Spanish films play out the horror and thrill in the stories. Gore is not necessary, and dark themes are common but not hard to watch. And most importantly, the essence is there. Maybe next time, I'll share more foreign-language films with different genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment