Of learning and playing

March 5, 2015

On the night of our wedding, my then-boyfriend-now-husband gave me a new instrument - a ukulele! I never thought that he'd be able to pull a surprise as such since during our wedding preparation, we're almost always together. Great job! I was sorry that I got no material gift for him that night - but hey, the blessings we had that day were overwhelming and unexpected!
Anyway, I am very glad that I have yet another instrument to know! Well, maybe when I get some free time and the urge to learn, I'll get to know the ukulele. I already scanned the chords for it and it looks easier than the guitar. I haven't fully studied the comparison between guitar and ukulele, and I hope I won't get confused! I hope I'll have the time.

Learning to play instruments has always been a fond experience for me. Back when I was in elementary, I joined the Drum and Lyre club I remember how good it felt learning to play Twinkle, twinkle little star on my own. I attended afternoon practices with our strict teachers, Kakang Pilo and Kuya Boy. They gave us song pieces to practice at home and in school. When I was in 6th grade, I was assigned for some time to signal and lead the other players when and what to play. It was a happy experience. I was sad when I found out that my lyre was lost. Someone stole it.

I also remember having a harmonica toy (green and white in color, I guess) when I was young. I would blow it as hard as I could while trying to make up a happy birthday tune. It was one of our favorite toys and I don't know what happened to it.

Finally, back in high school, we were taught three basic chords in guitar and piano. With the powerful combination of D, G, and A, we could already play different songs. Well as for me, I learned Leaving on a jetplane in guitar, and As the deer in piano. And when I graduated from high school, my grandfather bought me a guitar in Cebu as his graduation present. It was with that guitar I learned to play! I struggled with fretting notes, basic strumming, and plucking (which I haven't really learned well.) I would look at our old song hits magazines to find songs. My favorite songs to play were Gary Jules' version of Mad World, Marty Casey's Trees, Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, Coldplay's The Scientist and Yellow, and of course, The Cranberries' Linger.
My first ever guitar
I tried playing the piano, too. I would spend good number of hours trying to learn a song or two. I think playing the piano was harder. I actually recorded two songs and uploaded them. They were messy records, to be honest, plus I don't have such great voice. One was Cat Power's I Found A Reason, and the other was Bright Eyes' First Day of My Life. Whenever I listen to those records, it's fulfilling to know that I learned them with hard work and patience.

A good friend also gave me a harmonica but I never get to learn it. So now, with our new ukulele, I've been thinking of what to play first since my original choice, that is, Crystal Fighter's At Home seems difficult yet lovely! 

Looking at all these musical instruments in our room, I can't help but smile, and realize that music is a big part of my life and it makes me feel alive. And, it feeds my soul. Ah, grateful! I think we can make a room for a drum set next time! Haha

2 comments: