Some music on the road

August 14, 2015

As a member of an astronomical society back in college, I loved the stargazing nights and meteor shower observations we had to attend to. I learned how to set up a telescope the fastest that I could, but I guess I've forgotten that skill by now. 

One of those stargazing nights, a friend told me that when she finally gets a car in the future, she would love to have road trips with me. She said I would choose the music to play while she drives to somewhere. She liked the songs that I like, the music artists that I follow. She was glad when I suggested that she listens to Baz Luhrmann's Everybody's Free To Wear SunscreenFew years forward, we haven't had road trips together and almost lost connection, thanks to social media, we're able to communicate once in a while.
Since I came here in KSA, I've been liking road trips - however short or long they are. They are escapes from routines at home. As I can see, music is essential in every road trip. It sets the mood, especially during long drives when you need to stay awake even when you are just in the passenger seat, simply to give your driver some company. My husband drives and I feel guilty when I fell asleep at times during travels. I find it fun to update our playlist for road trips - looking for old and new music to sing, shout, or hum along to. We made this one favorite folder of music from Filipino bands with female vocalists - and all these songs can be found in Youtube! I think these songs are one of my precious finds in the internet. I'm sharing the songs below, in no particular order.


Belinda Bye Bye by Barbie's Cradle. Barbie Almalbis, the frontwoman, has such a quirky voice and a sweet face that boys can't get over with. The band had many hit songs until Barbie decided to go on solo. This upbeat song is my fave.

Call Center by Cambio. Half of the disbanded Eraserheads joined a new band back in 2002, Cambio. Kris Dancel takes the lead in this song, which represents the graduates' choice to work in a call center while waiting/ preparing for a better career.



Pagbalik by Fuseboxx. I didn't know about this band and was glad to watch them in Youtube. This song has some heavy feels in it.


Hiling by Paramita. Ria Bautista was the drummer and the vocalist of this band. What I like about the songs that they released was their poetic lyrics that do not sound too cheesy. It was also a plus to see a female drummer in a band, which is pretty rare.

Torpe by Hungry Young Poets. This is another song with Barbie Almalbis in it. I remember the time when a friend and I sang out loud to this song while in a taxicab. The driver was cool with it anyway and wished he had a longer ride jamming with us. Ha ha!

Rainsong by Imago. I think only a few knew about this song. And I think these few understood what this song meant. The lyrics is incomprehensible when you hear it for the first time, but when you found out about it, you'd be amazed and would try as much to sing along to it.

'Wag Ka Nang Mambitch by Keltscross. My husband heard about this band before. They are a girl band with post-punk styles. Their lyrics may sound harsh especially to the audience back in the 90s, but funny and creative to those who appreciates their music. I wished I knew this song sooner back in college.

Sulat by Moonstar88. This song was a hit when I was in high school. Aside from being a time of adjustments and stress, I think high school was also a time to like love songs like this, even when you're too young for love.

High by Save Me Hollywood. When I heard this band from a local radio, I thought they were a foreign band, they even sounded like Paramore. Anyway, it was nice to hear they were actually from the Philippines. "How do we get so high?"


Shapeshifter by Taken By Cars. This is another band that sounds foreign and underground. They are not in the mainstream and I got to hear about them together with other Terno bands. Give them a listen, you may love them.

Suntok sa Buwan by Sessionroad. I love playing this song on this guitar. Simple words, simple chords, and easy to sing along to. Laid-back.

Flicker by Up Dharma Down. UdD has sure lots of songs that I like because I'm a fan, but I like the unpopularity of this one. "I'm looking forward to seeing you | When will I get another ride | To see the other side again?" Oh, gives shivers - fave lines.

My Favorite Things by The Late Isabel. This one creepy cover of a song from The Sound of Music musical gives a different meaning. The video was also equally creepy in a good way.

Sayaw Lukring by Tribal Fish. When I was child, I remember 'sayaw lukring, sayaw lukring' was used to tease playmates in the neighborhood. I was surprised that there was a song like this. Funny and perky!

Tumatakbo by Mojofly. I think I have girl friends who can relate to this song. Give it a listen, you may find it relatable, too.

'Wag Na Sana 'Kong Gumising Mag-isa by Itchyworms feat. Uela Basco. LOVE this song, especially this version, when we first heard it from Ang Nawawala. We loved it so much that we made this our first dance song in our wedding reception!

Lost in Numbers by Outerhope. I learned about Outerhope from Ang Nawawala, too. This song reminds me of Free Design's Love you, in a sadder tone.

Evil Jill by Stella's Notch. I first heard this song from Jam 88.3 but I could not find more details about Stella's Notch back then. And one day, when I browsed Youtube, I saw this and this put a smile on my face. Nostalgic! Sugar Hiccup's Melody del Mundo was in this band. By the way, Suggar Hiccup has a separate folder in our road playlist.



New Romancer by Sandwich. Yes, I know that Sandwich does not have a female lead vocalist, that's why I was excited to hear this one. It highlighted Myrene's vocals, and it sounds great. I hope Sandwich released more songs featuring her vocal talent.



This playlist serves us right during our road trips. I hope to share more about music and artists here. Happy listening! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment