Making good ripples

July 4, 2016

One of the downsides of living away from home where Catholic church life seemed impossible, is the lack of opportunities to personally share thoughts about spirituality and relationship with God. I was invited by colleagues to join them in their church, one was Christian (they were somewhat affiliated to Hillsong), and the other was a foreign Catholic community. I would have accepted their invites but I wasn't up to meeting a lot of new people at that moment, besides the pros and cons. It was a conscious decision my husband and I had made.

Living here stripped us of the experience to physically belong to a catholic community, though I knew few people who still enjoy their spiritual life amidst the prohibition of religious practices other than Islam. Fortunately, we will always have a community back home where we feel a sense of family and belongingness.


During our holiday in the Philippines, my husband and I tried to squeeze in our schedules some of the activities of Antioch community. A good friend asked me (nicely and pressingly) if I could prepare a talk for the Recollection, so I did. (Thank you JM for asking!) It was a window to meet again the new members of the community and to bid goodbye to good friends since it would be the day before our flight to the kingdom.


Choosing a topic for the youth has always been a challenge. However, during that time, I remember that I have always wanted to talk about the ripple effect. I am fascinated by how one's simple acts could bring up a change in unimaginable ways, like a small rock thrown in a calm pond creating ripples. Thus, I settled in talking about making good ripples.


The ripple effect is a spreading, pervasive, and usually unintentional effect or influence. It's a single act that gets magnified over time affecting a larger group of people. It happens everyday, both in positive and negative ways. This video is a good story of how far and long our ripples can travel, while this one takes on how ripple effect can be damaging.


Most of our actions affect other people, sometimes without our knowledge. A smile or a nod can make someone's day brighter and productive, while an unintentionally hurtful joke can add up to someone's depression. Our ripple effects may go a long way; they are not always abrupt, some take time. Knowing that everyday we have an opportunity to make ripples in the society we are in, wouldn't it be better if we choose to make good ones, instead of undesirable ripples? I listed down six ways to help ourselves in making small waves of goodness, here they are:


1. Have a positive attitude. We have individual differences and uniqueness. We deal with our situations differently. We handle stress differently. We work on our goals and dreams differently. We may be dealing with the same situation like someone else, but our reactions may not be the same. Reacting positively may give us insights that stress and problems are opportunities in disguise. Having a positive attitude takes time but is a worthy decision. Hans Selye said it right: Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one.

Charles R. Swindoll quote
 2. Practice gratitude. In this materialistic world and this age of information, it is common to people to want what's new and trendy. There are always new gadgets for communication and entertainment; technology that makes living easier. People keep on wanting more while others make use of other's leftovers. The great divide is still there. If we practice gratitude, we end up pursuing the things that enrich our soul, and not the material things we think we needed. We will appreciate the little things and cherish the relationships that we have.
Melody Beattie quote
3. Strike a balance in your life. It is alright to maintain some level of secrecy in our life. I think that it is even wiser if we choose not to divulge everything to everyone, like what some people are doing nowadays - broadcasting every little thing about themselves. Balance is the key. If all aspects of our life are in balance, inner peace is attainable. And peace always sounds good to me.
Gabriel Garcia Marquez quote
4. Spread kindness. There are communities that focus on doing random acts of kindness. Every time I hear or read a story of kindness, it warms my heart. Sometimes, it's easier to be indifferent to others but if we realize that a little kindness can save a life, will we still be uncaring and cold? If we show kindness to others, we become selfless, little by little. We can even inspire some to spread kindness, too. Check out this organization to learn more about random acts of kindness.
Mother Teresa quote
5. Trust God without reservations. Especially when all seems falling apart. I find comfort in the idea that when I didn't get what I wanted, God will give what I need in time. I trust His will because I know it's way better than mine. I trust Him because He is good and His love for me is abundant. Trusting Him gives me a brighter perspective, thus I can enjoy life with peace.
Charles Haddon Spurgeon quote
6. Do all things with love. If we do things with love, hard work becomes easy and even enjoyable. Need I say more?
1 Corinthians 16:14 verse
I personally reflect on these six ways that I listed, and tell myself to do these more. The ripple effect is a good idea to change the world in our own little ways. How to begin? Start with yourself. Be the 'pay it forward' in this world of quid pro quo.
Joseph Norris quote
*Music playing at the background: The Grateful Dead's Ripples (Playing For Change cover)

No comments:

Post a Comment