Lent 2018

February 14, 2018

Lent has come early this year and incidentally, the start of the season which is Ash Wednesday fell on Valentine's Day. I have started a plan in my Bible app entitled Lent for Everyone and I hope to finish all the readings and devotions for the whole Lent.

I thought of sharing my favorite verse of the daily gospel here this Lent, hopefully to inspire others to read or listen to the gospel more often than they do. So here goes what strikes me the most in the readings today:
Matthew 6:18 NIV ash wednesday
Ash Wednesday - Matthew 6:18 NIV
The gospel reminds us to keep our good deeds and enriching relationship with God, in secret. God, who is unseen but omnipresent, can see what we do - whether it is helping the needy or backstabbing other people. When it comes to doing good for someone or providing help where it is needed, the gospel reminds us not to brag about them, how tempting it might be to earn appreciation from others. The same goes when we pray or fast. Personally, I prefer praying silently and going to not so crowded mass services. It keeps my focus to the sermon instead of the people around me.

That's all for now - may we be able to practice kindness and love towards others in praising Him, and not because of trying to gain other people's praises. :)


* Photo used for the verses was taken by my husband, and enhanced by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment