Some sewing upcycles!

November 14, 2018

It has been a month since I got my home sewing machine, and it has been amazing so far. I have done alterations here and there, and I thought it's time to upcycle some old clothing items. I love the process and the results of these projects, including undoing the seams when needed.

I had this black skirt for a few years now and I've been wearing it under my abaya when we go out sometimes for extra coverage. The fabric is still nice and comfy so I decided to sew it into culottes. I used my well-fitting pants as a pattern and added width to the legs to my liking. It's easy because it was mostly straight stitch, and zigzag stitch to serge the edges.
black skirt, black culottes
Skirt to culottes
Next is this shirt with a worn out neckline. It was a gift from a colleague in a school I used to teach at. It can be worn off the shoulders but I prefer wearing it otherwise. Like the skirt, the fabric is still good and just needs a new look. I cut the old neckline and drew the V-neck pattern from what's left. 
black shirt
Worn out shirt to V-neck shirt
Finally, I had this printed dress for quite a while and have never worn it. After buying it and trying it on at home, I realized that it was short and I didn't like to wear it on its own. I love the print and it was such a waste since I haven't used it. To make it useful, I made a sewing machine cover and a bralette. Making the sewing machine cover was pretty easy, you just need the correct measurement of your machine. On the other hand, the bralette took some time to make. I patterned it from a bralette with a similar fabric. It does not have a full support but it's comfortable to wear.
dress, sewing machine cover, bralette
Printed dress to a sewing machine cover and bralette
I have a few more upcylces but forgot to take photos. I'll remind myself to take photos next time to document the transformation. Until then.☺

No comments:

Post a Comment