Am I still on Facebook? How about you?

September 26, 2019

I had not been using my Facebook account when I decided to deactivate it. What kept me from deleting it completely were the photos I uploaded there and friends I had no way of contacting if not through that application. I keep using Messenger though since it seems to have replaced text messaging and family and friends send me messages through that.

It was not that big of a deal when I stopped using Facebook. I'm not even sure if people noticed it or maybe some just assumed that I unfriended (is that still a thing? haha) or blocked them. It has been a smooth transition since I wasn't checking my news feed all the time. There was even a point before deactivating that I would only last five minutes looking at my news feed. Well, maybe those were just dark days but I lost interest seeing what's trending and opinions about news and events that were generally awful. The other reason I quit using it is that I was usually left with negative emotions after browsing. And why would I still use something that doesn't make me feel good at all? So I made a choice and it has been great so far.

I'm sure there were events that went in my friends' lives that I missed out on - that's just one of the cons but I love the idea of mystery and wonder how other people's weeks and months have gone and maybe they'll share their stories when we meet. I can reach out to them through Messenger if I want/need to, and I hope that they know that they can do the same. I hope that family and friends won't think that I care less if I don't know everything going on with them. I do care, a lot actually.

I won't go around telling others to deactivate or delete their Facebook too. But if you get negative emotions from social media, maybe you should take a break for a while. Or not. Instead, use it wisely, share what's in your mind carefully, and follow only stuff that you need/want in your feed. It all boils down to doing things that make you happy and help you feel important and useful without causing harm to others and yourself especially. But also, remember to live in the present and discover other ways and experiences where you can learn, grow, and feel fulfilled.

Anyway, I'm sharing here some songs from a band that I love listening to these days.☺️

No comments:

Post a Comment