So, what's your desert island album?

January 31, 2020

There's this old situational question - if you would be stranded in a desert island with no other access to music, which album/s (limited number - let's say five or ten) would you bring with you? The idea is that you could only listen to these album/s while being stuck wherever that island is.

Before I choose the albums from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Radiohead, Florence + the machine, Norah Jones, The Moldy Peaches, Belle and Sebastian, Damien Rice, The Velvet Underground among others, an album will stand out and will surely be part of the list. It is a personal choice and I wouldn't say that that album is the greatest of all. That album will be Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill. And if greatest hits albums could be chosen, I would be good with her The Collection album. I believe I would also thoroughly enjoy my husband's chosen desert island albums.
Jagged Little Pill album cover
Jagged Little Pill
Jagged Little Pill was Alanis Morissette's first album released worldwide in 1995. My earliest memory of discovering her music was chancing upon her song Ironic on the radio and later seeing its music video. As a child, I found the song catchy and I would make up words while singing along to the chorus when I heard it on the radio (because it was frequently played if I remember it right and I didn't know the lyrics at that time). Fast forward to many years after that when I finally got to listen to all the songs in the Jagged Little Pill album, I fell in love with it. It's one of those albums where all the songs are great (all killer, no filler - in my opinion) - unlike some albums where you'll probably just like two or three songs. There are songs in the album apt for different emotions that you may feel - joy, hate, frustration, resentment, or hope.

Now, Alanis Morissette announced late last year about the new musical inspired by her album and that she will be touring to celebrate 25 years of Jagged Little Pill and will be releasing a new album Such Pretty Forks in the Road. It came as a surprise that she will be coming to Asia, particularly Japan and Philippines as part of her 2020 world tour. The '90s kids are probably rejoicing.
Jagged Little Pill 2020 World Tour asia, Japan, Philippines
2020 World Tour - Japan and Philippines
You can check out here if she will be performing in your city. I would love to listen to and see her perform live, and maybe feel euphoric and nostalgic (nostalgia sells). Jagged Little Pill may not be greatest album of all time but it is an essential album to experience.

P.S. Listen to one of my favorite songs from her:


No comments:

Post a Comment