A decade together

May 20, 2019

If you'd ask what I've been doing the exact same day about a decade ago - I'd tell you that I was thinking of making one of the precious decisions in my life. A decade ago, I decided to start an exclusive relationship with Michael. It seemed rushed, but it felt right. Even back then, I knew that what we started was for the long haul. And I'm glad that it is. It has been a decade since that day, and a lot has happened. Was it really that long? It seemed like yesterday, and at the same time, it was like a long time ago.

We experienced a lot between then and now. We've had sunshine and rain, joy and pain, and I'm grateful that it's him that I get to spend them with. We learned to appreciate the times we spent together, and the times we spent apart while struggling with personal battles that we also learned to share with each other.  We got married after being together for five years and decided to live abroad. We made mistakes, argued about big and small issues, felt sorry, and always choose to make up. Sometimes we hurt each other unintentionally, I think it's inevitable and I hope that we always gain something valuable from those times. We traveled to interesting places while trying as much to save up for our dreams. We tried doing new stuff and agreed about a lot of things. We told stories we have never told anyone and laughed at jokes we also have never told anyone.
The first year
Surviving the long distance
Countdown to marriage
The first two years of being married
Living abroad and discovering new places
Oh, how far we've come
Being with Michael, like other relationships and marriages, is not all joy and laughter - there are pain and sadness too; but as long as we know that we have each other, we find comfort in that fact and life gets much more bearable. We may not achieve some of our dreams (well, that's life), but we have a lot to be thankful for. Ten years is long, but I'd love to think that we are only getting started - there are so many plans and dreams I love to make with him, so many places and miracles to see together, so many things to do, and so much love to give to him. 

I might have made some pretty bad decisions in my life, but a decade ago, I did something right and I've been grateful ever since.☺️

No comments:

Post a Comment